Preparing your beets for freezing just following these simple steps.
1. Cut off the leaves a half inch from the top of the beets (don’t throw away the greens, sauté with olive oil and garlic for a tasty side dish). Leave the root to prevent the beets from bleeding when you cook them.
2. Scrub the beets to remove any dirt.
3. Boil the beets until easily pierced with a fork; small beets 25-35 minutes and large beets 45-50 minutes.
4. Transfer the cooked beets to an ice water bath for 5 minutes to stop the cooking process.
5. Peel beets by sliding the skin off with your fingers. Then cut the tops and root off.
6. Cut the beets how you prefer and spread out in a single layer on a baking sheet. Flash freeze to prevent beets freezing in a big clump together.
7. Once the beets are fully frozen, package in freezer containers or bags and remove as much air as possible then return to the freezer. Best used within a year.