1 cup shelled fresh fava beans (1 1/4 pounds in pods)
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided, plus additional for drizzling
1 1/2 cups packed baby arugula (1 1/2 ounces), divided
3 tablespoons grated Pecorino Toscano or Parmigiano-Reggiano
1/4 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1 garlic clove, halved crosswise
16 mint leaves
- Preheat oven to 350 with rack in the middle. Cook fava beans in boiling water, uncovered, until tender, 3 to 4 minutes, then drain and transfer to an ice bath to stop cooking. Gently peel off skins.
- Pulse fava beans in a food processor until very coarsely chopped, then transfer half of mixture to a large bowl.
- Add 1/4 cup oil, 1/2 cup arugula, cheese, lemon zest and juice, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 tea-spoon pepper to favas in processor and purée until smooth.
- Add to bowl. Coarsely chop remaining cup arugula and gently fold into fava bean mixture.
- Cut 16 diagonal slices (1/3-inch thick) from baguette and put in a 4-sided sheet pan. Drizzle with remaining tablespoon oil.
- Bake until pale golden and crisp, 8 to 10 minutes. Rub with cut side of garlic.
- Spoon fava bean mixture onto baguette toasts, then drizzle with oil and top with mint.